About Jean Fromm, PHD
Psychologist: PSY 10324
Marriage & Family Therapist: LMFT 9043
I have been in private practice for over 35 years and I love my work. I enjoy being part of someone's journey through change as insights and skills are gained, old and new wounds are healed and relationships are transformed.
I do individual counseling with adults of all ages, cultural and ethnic backgrounds and sexual orientations. My training has included a broad range of theoretical orientations which enables me to apply this knowledge when working with my clients because one approach is not suitable for everyone. Currently, many people are requesting Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. I have had a great deal of training in this technique with many different professionals to learn it from a variety of approaches across many different problem areas.
In general, I help my clients with a broad range of issues including, but not limited to depression, anxiety, panic attacks, relationship issues, work stress, grief & loss, stress management, concerns re: sexual orientation, anger management, childhood abuse, domestic violence, rape and other forms of post traumatic stress disorder. I help people deal with the pressures of parenting, dealing with aging parents and confronting ones own aging and health concerns. I have received several awards for my work in domestic violence working with both survivors and perpetrators.
I received my PhD from USC in Counseling Psychology. Previous work experience includes being the Clinical Director in a battered women's shelter, Director of a women's inpatient chemical dependency unit and social worker at a psychiatric hospital. I was an adjunct faculty member at Antioch University teaching classes in Chemical Dependency and at CSULB teaching classes on group counseling and directing the Community Clinic for the Psychology Department.
The office is in a convenient location by car or bus.
There is ample parking available and the office has handicap accessibility.
The office is open Monday to Thursday, 8 AM - 6 PM.
Jean Fromm's Resume
- 1984–Present: Psychologist, Private Practice, Long Beach, CA.
- 1984 – 2008: Psychologist, Alternatives to Violence, Long Beach, CA
- 1985 - 1987: Adjunct Faculty, California State University Long Beach
- Department of Educational Psychology
- Department of Psychology: Clinical Director of the Community Psychology Clinic
- 1986 - 1986: Adjunct Faculty, Antioch University, Los Angeles, CA. Department of Psychology
- 1984 - 1985: Program Director, College Hospital, Cerritos, CA.
- Amethyst Program for chemically dependent women.
- 1982 - 1983: Psychotherapist, Private Practice, Long Beach, CA.
- 1980 - 1984: Clinical Services Director, Women Shelter, Long Beach, CA.
- 1980 - 1982: Teaching Assistant, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA.
- 1979 - 1980: Intake Evaluator, Bloch Clinic, Los Angeles, CA.
- 1976 - 1978: Psychotherapist in Private Practice, Encino Mental Health Clinic, Encino, CA.
- 1975 - 1978: Social Worker, Woodview Calabasas Psychiatric Hospital, Calabasas, CA.
- Ph.D.: University of Southern California; Department of Counseling Psychology - Dissertation: The Effects of Wife Abuse on the Children
- Master of Arts: California State University, Northridge; Department of Counselor Education
- Bachelor of Science: City University of New York, City College of New York
- Major: Special Education for the Emotionally Handicapped
- Minor: Behavioral Sciences
- End Abuse Long Beach – Domestic Violence Prevention Award
- Sexual Assault Crisis Agency - Community Service Award
- Proclamation from the County of Los Angeles for service to spouse abusers and battered women
- Lt. Governor's Office - Certificate of Commendation for services to victims of domestic violence.
- American Psychological Association
- California Psychological Association
- California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists
- End Abuse Long Beach
- End Abuse Long Beach: Board of Directors
- Association of Batterers’ Intervention Programs: Chair of the Training Program Committee
- Statewide California Coalition on Battered Women: Board of Directors
- California Women’s Commission on Alcoholism, LA Chapter
PROFESSIONAL TRAINING AND COMMUNITY EDUCATION
This is a sample of the presentations given on such topics as an overview of domestic violence, counseling skills with survivors and batterers, anger management, incest, chemical dependency, and women and chemical dependency.
- Mid-Morning L.A.
- Alive and Well (National Cable)
- Los Angeles County Probation Department
- Los Angeles County Sheriffs Department
- Long Beach Police Department
- Los Angeles County Mental Health
- Prototypes-Breaking the Barriers Conference
- Women Shelter
- Haven Hills Shelter for Battered Women
- Sojourn Shelter for Battered Women
- Su Casa Shelter for Battered Women
- Rainbow Shelter for Battered Women
- Statewide Coalition for Battered Women
- Association for Women in Psychology: L.A. Chapter
- California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists Annual Conference
- Alpert Jewish Community Center
- Unitarian Church
- National Organization for Women
- Long Beach City College (Department of Sociology)
- California State University, Dominguez Hills (Department of Sociology and the MFCC Program)
- California State University, Long Beach (Departments of Psychology, Sociology, Social Work, Counselor Education, Women's Studies, the Women's Resource Center and the Counseling Center)
- California State University, Northridge (Counselor Education)
- University of Southern California (Sociology Department)
- Jordan High School
- Lakewood High School
- Woman to Woman Recovery Center
- Flossie Lewis Recovery Home
- Alcoholism Center for Women
- CORE - A Time to Play
- Gay and Lesbian Community Services Center
- One in Long Beach
- National College of District Attorneys: 14th Annual National Conference on Domestic Violence